Causes of the Revolutionary War
- The American people were strongly independent. They wanted to do things for themselves. Great Britain was a long way away. The American people didn't want people an ocean away telling them how to live their lives.
- The British government decided to make the American colonies pay a large share of the war debt from the .
- Through the, , and other taxes, the British tried to collect taxes that the American people considered harsh.
- The American people also thought that they should be able to send their own people to Britain's Parliament or at least vote for Britain's lawmakers.
- The combination of the harsh taxes and the lack of an American voice in Parliament gave rise to the famous phrase "taxation without representation."
- Americans started stockpiling guns and ammunition in violation of British laws. Their defense of such a stockpile led to the shots fired at and the beginning of the Revolutionary War.
The Glorious Cause: American Revolutionary War, US-Mexican ...
What Revolutionary War soldiers ate [video]
The American War for Independence